- Sunday, September 29, 2019 · Personal
Three weeks ago, I took a train into New York City. Walking out of Penn Station, into the warm, late Summer air, my life felt...
- Monday, August 5, 2019 · Personal
On Change and Death
Pugsy died a little over three weeks ago today. Those first few weeks, I was bereft and sad and lost. Now, I can at least...
- Tuesday, July 9, 2019 · Personal
Able Bodied Takes A VacationGratitude for what once was & will return
- Saturday, June 29, 2019 · Writing
The Writing ProcessWell, my writing process
- Thursday, June 13, 2019 · Writing
Nicole and Her Horrible, Very Bad, No Good FearFear is a sign of growth, yes?
- Monday, May 6, 2019 · Technology
Arch Linux & DifficultyDo it because it is hard
- Friday, April 26, 2019 · Personal
The NarrativeThe stories we tell ourselves
- Sunday, February 24, 2019 · Personal
ChangesIn life, both real & virtual
- Monday, January 21, 2019 · Personal
Thoughts on Time
I have a fear of getting older, of becoming sick. A fear of my lungs failing, losing my ability to move in this world. A...
- Monday, December 31, 2018 · Personal
Letting GoSaying yes by saying no
- Saturday, December 15, 2018 · Personal
The Berlin Wall
About a year ago, I became interested in Germany. I do not recall the why of it but only that I consumed anything I could...
- Saturday, November 24, 2018 · Personal
Apparently, Stories Do MatterWhy do I always have to relearn the old lessons?
- Wednesday, October 24, 2018 · Personal
- Thursday, October 11, 2018 · Personal
Since I started this website, almost a full year ago now, I have written under a pseudonym. Selene was my moniker and it really isn't...
- Wednesday, October 10, 2018 · Personal
Twenty years ago tomorrow, on October 10th, I killed someone. A woman. A mother. The time was a little after ten pm. It was a...
- Monday, October 8, 2018 · Technology
Tech: My Setup & Philosophy
I spend an inordinate amount of time behind a keyboard and screen. It is my job, after all, to write code. Also, it is my...
- Thursday, October 4, 2018 · Personal
There is only the mad dash through life, clawing and kicking out of the current version I have created for myself, trying to make it...
- Wednesday, July 25, 2018 · Personal
Run AwayYou don't always have to run toward something
- Sunday, July 8, 2018 · Writing
Settling In, Settling Down
On this relatively cool Sunday afternoon, I've got my feet up, a Stella Artois on the coffee table, and a content feeling slipping around inside...
- Saturday, June 30, 2018 · Personal
Dreamers & Doers
It's a few minutes after four in the morning, and I've already been up for an hour. The first half-hour was spent trying desperately to...
- Friday, June 15, 2018 · Personal
A Reset of Sorts
Have you ever seen Complete Unknown? It came out a few years ago and starred Rachel Weisz and Michael Shannon. The fundamental premise is that...
- Friday, June 1, 2018 · Writing
It Really Comes Down to "Just Write"
I haven't written in ten days.
Not a sentence, nor a paragraph, nor even just a few words. Not here on this blog, or in my...
- Friday, May 18, 2018 · Personal
A Wild Heart Yet Practical Mind
The tattoo I had inked in Prague is just about healed. The memories grow fainter each day. The habits and monotony of pre-Europe continue to...
- Monday, May 14, 2018 · Technology
You Need to Write, the App
So, I built something yesterday. Something digital; it's not like I can hand you a spice rack and exclaim, "Look what I have built! Look...
- Sunday, May 6, 2018 · Personal
Permission Into the Unknown
Currently, I'm reading A Field Guide to Getting Lost by Rebecca Solnit. I started it the night before we left Prague, while I...
- Monday, April 30, 2018 · Personal
We left Berlin just over an hour ago and are hurtling toward Prague at 160 kilometers an hour on a train. I sit alone, a...
- Thursday, April 26, 2018 · Personal
In the Moment Feels
In between the staccato voice of the announcer, in between the different languages (of which I only understand English), there is the absolute tiredness that...
- Tuesday, April 24, 2018 · Writing
Managing the Missteps
I didn't write yesterday.
I missed another day of writing my three pages or 750 words somewhere. I completely forgot, to be honest. I usually write...
- Wednesday, April 18, 2018 · Personal
Persistence, Pertinacity, & Patience
I’m back. A whirlwind trip to New York City to celebrate an old friend’s fortieth birthday and Broadway debut as part of the ensemble cast...
- Monday, April 9, 2018 · Personal
This past weekend, I began purging. It started when I was cleaning the bathroom in anticipation of my mother coming to stay here and watch...
- Friday, April 6, 2018 · Personal
A Dream Almost Fulfilled
When I was a senior in high school, the movie Kicking and Screaming was released. My best friend at the time and I went to...
- Saturday, March 31, 2018 · Writing
Is Social Media Necessary to Be a Writer in the Modern World?
I have a love/hate relationship with social media. I believe that’s the case with most people. Maybe it’s the fact that I’m on the tail-end...
- Sunday, March 25, 2018 · Writing
Writing the Other, Becoming the Other
My grandmother was a devout Catholic. Each morning, she celebrated Mass at her local church. Each evening, she whispered prayers to her God. She kept...
- Friday, March 16, 2018 · Writing
Move Slow, Find Balance
Finding balance is not something I am particularly good at. For the most part, I am a woman of extremes. All in, fast and furiously...
- Wednesday, March 7, 2018 · Writing
Life is Hard. So What? Write.
Life is fucking hard. It'll eat you up like a rabid dog chewing at your exposed ankle. Make a mistake or a wrong choice or...
- Wednesday, February 28, 2018 · Writing
You Have Unlimited WordsYou've Just Got to Shovel Through the Shit
- Tuesday, February 20, 2018 · Writing
It's a black virus wending its way through your veins or a vicious storm on the sea's horizon threatening the small, wooden boat you just...
- Saturday, February 17, 2018 · Personal
Time Is Not on Your Side
I've been quiet here on my blog this week. I've needed some time to sort through thoughts and feelings without having to be coherent or...
- Sunday, February 11, 2018 · Personal
Maybe We Can
I know it's not good to write about politics or religion. These topics are hugely divisive and problematic. It has always been this way. This...
- Saturday, February 10, 2018 · Writing
Habit Is the Precursor
I've written a post a day for over a month now. I'm not sure if that's an accomplishment or it's sad that I think it's an...
- Tuesday, February 6, 2018 · Personal
Time to Start Dating Again?
I got back on OK Cupid again today. What the hell am I thinking?
It started yesterday. I went to an intimacy workshop that a friend...
- Monday, February 5, 2018 · Personal
Loving the Giants
It's going to be a difficult night to write here. I should have written this morning but I was busy doing other things. And now,...
- Saturday, February 3, 2018 · Personal
Late October, 1999
_Thursday 28 October 1999 8:45 in the morning
Well, I guess I'm in Pioneer, California, sitting at Amador Station off of Highway 88....
- Saturday, February 3, 2018 · Personal
Once a Toy
I was going to write about the time I spent on a ranch in California but, as I began to write it this evening, I...
- Friday, February 2, 2018 · Personal
The Wrong Narrative
This morning, Jen over at Jen's Life (I adore her URL), responded to a comment I had made on her post. In it, she asks, “Do...
- Wednesday, January 31, 2018 · Personal
Older Female Friends For Better Living
There are days when the words won't flow. Today appears to be one of those days. Maybe it's the meds I've been taking that creates...
- Monday, January 29, 2018 · Personal
There are two fears that loom large in my life. The first is health; so much matters around that. The quality of our life is...
- Saturday, January 27, 2018 · Personal
Joy is Consistency
This past week has been one full of movies and television shows. I think I have stared at my TV screen for as many hours...
- Thursday, January 25, 2018 · Personal
Random Thoughts of a Sick Girl
I'm totally going to punch it in today. I'm still sick, my legs hurt, and I can't stop coughing. I'm tired, a little cranky, and...
- Tuesday, January 23, 2018 · Personal
Sick & Privileged Thoughts
A Tuesday afternoon and I'm still in my pajamas. Being sick is such a pain in the tuckus. The thing about being an adult—being a...
- Monday, January 22, 2018 · Writing
“How do you like your eggs?”
Last night, when I came home from meeting my eleven week old nephew for the first time (so small! so soft!) and after I had...
- Sunday, January 21, 2018 · Personal
My Spirit Animal Is a Chameleon
I almost didn't write here this morning. I took out my notebook, made my cup of coffee, and was about to put pen to paper...
- Saturday, January 20, 2018 · Personal
More Than Parts
Funny story from tonight. I was running around haphazardly this evening, trying to rush back home because the Pugger was sick (I ended up coming...
- Thursday, January 18, 2018 · Personal
Unconditional Love Is a Pug
I'm up early today. Woke up just after 4:30 this morning. This is when I used to get up religiously but haven't been able to...
- Thursday, January 18, 2018 · Personal
Debt Is a Prison
I've been meaning to write about debt. But it's just such a soul-sucking, anger-inducing topic to me. I have had debt, in one form or...
- Tuesday, January 16, 2018 · Personal
Writing Isn’t the Goal
The start of the week is today, a Tuesday, after having the MLK holiday off yesterday. We've got a company wide staff meeting and then...
- Monday, January 15, 2018 · Personal
Dullness for Comfort?
What to say? It's a little funny how I was going to write so much. Write about going to see Neko Case last night in...
- Saturday, January 13, 2018 · Writing
4 Blog Idea Generators and 1 Sad Sack Writer That Will Make You Feel Better About Yourself
Coming up with topics to write about is hard. You don't want to rehash the same principles day in and day out. What's the point...
- Saturday, January 13, 2018 · Personal
I think I'm getting sick. My throat has been sore and pasty for the past few days. A couple days ago, one of my coworkers...
- Thursday, January 11, 2018 · Personal
Words & Thoughts
Another day, another entry. It's earlier today than I have been posting. About 6:30 in the morning. I woke up a half hour ago. Made...
- Thursday, January 11, 2018 · Personal
Between the Quiet and the Chaos
I work from home on Wednesdays. I actually have a better set-up here at home than I do at the office. It's warmer and more...
- Wednesday, January 10, 2018 · Writing
Responsible to the Crazy
One of the worst things is the blank page. Or a blinking cursor on an empty screen. Filling it without inanity is a herculean task,...
- Tuesday, January 9, 2018 · Personal
Promises to Ourselves Are the Most Important to Keep
I made a goal on New Year's Eve to write 750 words (roughly three pages) every day. Either in my notebook or here on the...
- Sunday, January 7, 2018 · Personal
The bear is awakening again. I can feel her stretching, the restlessness in her extremities, tired of being locked up and in the dark. It's...
- Friday, December 22, 2017 · Personal
I'm bundled up—fingerless gloves and an infinity scarf, puffy jacket and heavy boots—sitting in front of my computer at work. Half of the employees are...
- Thursday, December 21, 2017 · Personal
Wednesday Night, Pizza & Tempranillo
I bought a frozen pizza at the grocery store tonight.
This alone isn't all that special. I bought a six pack of eggs, some cheese...
- Thursday, March 23, 2017 · Technology
Should Programmers Learn Outside of Work?
I’ve been programming, in some capacity or another, since I was eight years old. I don’t remember if it was Christmas or during the summer...
- Sunday, March 19, 2017 · Personal
I live about 20 miles outside the center of Boston. My commute into the office is just over 10 miles. This means that leaving home...
- Friday, March 10, 2017 · Personal
My memory is a ghost. She flits in, thin and wispy, and flits back out when I try to get a good look at her....
- Sunday, February 19, 2017 · Personal
Things Do Not Happen for a Reason
A few years ago, I read a book by Stephen Greenblatt called The Swerve: How the World Became Modern. It was the most difficult book...
- Sunday, February 12, 2017 · Personal
I can't remember where I heard or read it but disappointment is the difference between your expectations and reality. It's the same old story, isn't...
- Thursday, February 9, 2017 · Personal
Putting Yourself Out There
- Wednesday, February 1, 2017 · Personal
Emotion Vs. Logic
I am a roiling sea. I am the embodiment of a tumultuous, frothing storm. I am the physical manifestation of riotousness and disturbance and uproar....
- Saturday, January 28, 2017 · Personal
Sad for My Country
I've had a rough week. Last Friday, watching the inauguration of Trump, marked the start of this low-belly angst; a turmoil in my chest. In...
- Sunday, January 15, 2017 · Personal
Be Better Than You Are
I was going to start off this post by writing about how we live in a pervasive culture of _you are better than you think...
- Sunday, January 8, 2017 · Personal
One of the things I want to accomplish with Findom[^1] is a return to basics. A return to basics to improve my skillset and broaden...
- Sunday, January 1, 2017 · Personal
Thoughts While Hiking on New Year's Day
As a kid and young adult, I spent a lot of time outdoors. I hiked and backpacked, mountain biked and camped. This past decade, I...
- Friday, December 30, 2016 · Personal
If you're a fan of Casey Neistat, you've probably heard of Tom Sachs (Neistat was an intern for the artist between 2001 and 2004). Sachs...
- Friday, December 23, 2016 · Personal
I've hesitated about keeping a steady online blog because it is at odds with the thinking that A) I'm not special, B) it's all been...
- Saturday, December 17, 2016 · Personal
A Life of Squares
I carry a notebook with me everywhere, which even the phone isn't privileged enough to get (I actually forgot it at home this past Thursday)....
- Monday, October 31, 2016 · Personal
A Normal Day
Morning comes early for me. I'm usually in front of my desk by 4:30, protein smoothie and hot coffee in hand. A few years ago,...
- Sunday, October 23, 2016 · Management
What Makes a Good BossThoughts on the characteristics of a good boss.
- Friday, September 23, 2016 · Personal
Starting From Where You Are
Human nature fascinates me. Our place in the universe fascinates me. On the whole, we're a fairly smart species. We've evolved into complex, innovative creatures...